What are the reasons for modifying a divorce order in New Jersey?

On Behalf of | May 27, 2024 | Divorce |

When the court issues a divorce order, it means that it has finalized the dissolution of a marriage. Although the divorce is already final, a divorce order can go through modifications based on the changes in the lives of divorced spouses.

Divorcees who want to modify their order should file a motion with the court that issued their order. In New Jersey, they can file a motion to enforce the order if their former spouse is not compliant. In addition, the state accepts several reasons for updating an order.

Money matters

Changes in their financial status may lead former spouses to request for the decrease, increase or termination of payments for alimony or spousal support. Parents can also request to reduce or raise payments for child support. Also, they can seek to update the order to reimburse their kids’ medical expenses.

Other child concerns

Aside from updating child support payments, divorced parents can ask to make changes to their child custody arrangements and parenting time. Moreover, parents can cite the reason for relocating their child to a different state. Another reason to modify an order involves emancipating a child to end their child support responsibility.

Responding to a motion

Meanwhile, if your former spouse was the first to file a motion to modify your divorce order, there are two options to respond to it. First, you may file a certification. Second, you may file a cross-motion to oppose your former spouse’s request and ask the court to take action. After this, a court will determine if there is a need to hold a hearing before deciding on the motion.

Asserting your right to update an order

Updating a divorce order could be a hassle because it requires you to go through another legal process. But with legal support, you may seek to make the necessary changes to it so that you and your former spouse can continue to fulfill your end of the order.